If you spend a lot of time in a large, drafty room, it can get uncomfortable cold, especially in the warmer months. Space heaters are a great way to provide some additional heat, but you have to make sure you buy the right type for a drafty room.
We recommend purchasing an infrared space heater for a large, drafty room. Unlike convection heaters, infrared heaters heat objects rather than the air. If you try to heat the air in a large, drafty room, the draft will quickly cool the air down again whereas a space heater won’t have this problem.
Table of Contents
Quick Look at our Recommendations
Which Type of Heater is Best for Large Drafty Rooms?
When you have a drafty room, it’s difficult to keep it warm, no matter the size. If you try to heat the air, it won’t last long because cold air will enter the room and cool the room down. This is an even bigger problem when you have a large drafty room.
The solution is to purchase an infrared heater.
There are two main types of space heater: convection and infrared.
- Convection heaters heat the air. This is great for a well insulated room, but no good for a large drafty room. The warm air will soon escape and be replaced by cold air.
- Infrared heaters don’t heat the air but instead heat objects. As long as the heater is pointed towards you, it will keep you warm, even in a large drafty room.
Infrared heaters aren’t a completely perfect solution though. They only work in localised areas so they won’t heat the whole room like a convection heater. If you just need to heat one area, say one person sitting at a desk, then an infrared heater will be great. If there are multiple areas throughout the room that need heating simultaneously, then you will need to think about a few strategically placed infrared heaters.
Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Rooms
- Power: 1500w max
- Type: Infrared
- Size: 12.1″ W x 24.6″ H x 15.12″ D
- Two heat settings (750w/1500w)
- Overheat protection
- Safety tip-over switch
The Pelonis HQ-1000 is our top pick for a space heater for large, drafty rooms. It might not be the best looking heater, but the heating panel is much larger than most models.
The problem with many of the popular infrared space heaters like DR Infrared is that they are both infrared and convection heaters. They do have a small infrared heating panel, but they also use a fan to blow hot air into the room. If you have a large, drafty room, this is no good because the draft will quickly cool down the hot air.
The Pelonis HQ-1000 only uses infrared heating which means the panel is much larger and there won’t be any wasted energy trying to blow warm air in the room.
What We Like about the Pelonis HQ-1000
- Only Infrared Heat: Like I mentioned earlier, many infrared heaters use both convection and infrared heating. This means the infrared heating panels are very small. Since the Pelonis HQ-1000 only uses infrared heating, it has a much larger heating panel. This is exactly what you want for a large, drafty room. This does mean it isn’t good at heating the air in the room, but that would be wasted heat anyway since the draft will soon cool down any warm air in the room.
- Quiet: Since the Pelonis doesn’t use a fan, it is very quiet. Space heaters in general aren’t usually that noisy anyway, but there are a few models which can be a little bit annoying. The Pelonis does make a small amount of noise whilst it’s warming up, but after a few minutes it is very quiet.
- Great Reviews: After spending a few hours scouring the web and researching different models, I found that many of the infrared heaters (that weren’t the infrared/convection combos) has quite a few negative reviews. The Pelonis doesn’t have many reviews on Amazon, but has plenty of positive reviews on Lowes. And most of the negative reviews were complaining that the heater wasn’t heating the air in the room and would only heat what’s in front of it. Clearly they just weren’t informed of the difference between infrared and convection heaters.
Drawbacks to the Pelonis HQ-1000
- Gets Very Hot: The bottom of this heater and the face plate get very hot after it’s been on for a while. I wouldn’t advise using this heater around young children or pets f it withing their reach. Obviously this is going to be the case for all heaters to some degree, but some heaters are safer to operate than the Pelonis.
- Not the Best Looking Design: Obviously this comes down to personal preference, but personally, I’m not a fan of the design. I’m sure it will go well in some rooms though so that’s up to you, and if you don’t really care about the appearance it’s a great choice. If you do want a heater that looks a little nicer, the next one on our list is worth checking out although it won’t be as effective as this one in large, drafty rooms.
Other Space Heaters to Consider for Large Drafty Rooms
If you don’t like the look of the Pelonis HQ-1000, here are a couple of other space heaters you might want to consider for a large drafty room.
Best for Garage/Workshop
Last update on 2019-08-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API