Nothing is worse than buying some brand new clothes, only for them to start to fade after just a couple of washes. Luckily, there are various things you can do to keep colors from fading. Firstly, we’ll run you through some of the best detergents specifically designed for preserving color in your clothes. We also have a few extra tips which should keep your clothes looking nice and bright.
Best Detergent to Keep Colors From Fading
One of the most important and easiest things you can do to keep your clothes from fading is buy the correct detergent. In our list below you can find the best detergents specifically designed to keep colors from fading.
1. Woolite Darks Liquid Detergent – Mid-Range Pick
Woolite Darks is one of the most popular detergents for keeping colors from fading in your clothes. It’s a fairly soft detergent making it excellent for delicates. However, this does mean it isn’t particularly effective at cleaning heavily soiled clothes. The detergent leaves your clothes smelling fresh and the scent isn’t too overpowering.
There are a few problems users have experienced though. Firstly, the packaging seems to be quite poor. A few people have left reviews on Amazon where the detergent has leaked quite heavily when they received it. Quality control also seems to be a bit of a problem in the detergent too. Some regular users of Woolite Darks have found sometimes the detergent appears to be very watered down. I’m not sure exactly why, perhaps a faulty batch.
Overall, you will probably find Woolite Darks to be a great detergent to prevent colors from fading, unless you get unlucky with a faulty batch or poor packaging.
- Largest Size Bottle, More Wash Loads
- Extra Dark Care is specially formulated to effectively clean and care for...
- It won't cause fading so it keeps dark color clothes looking and feeling...
- Protection against shrinking, stretching and fading
2. Perwoll Renew Black – Premium Pick
If you’re looking for a detergent that is REALLY effective at preserving colors, check out Perwoll Renew Black. Most people find it works much better than Woolite Darks. It still leaves clothes smelling fresh and is fairly gentle, but it will keep colors from fading much more effectively. Another advantage of Perwoll Renew Black is that it doesn’t have the problems Woolite Darks has in terms of packaging and quality control.
The downside of Perwoll Renew Black is that it is considerable more expensive than Woolite Darks per wash. But if you’re looking for quality over price, you should definitely consider it.
- Concentrated perwoll renew 3D formula for dark and black clothes. Vivid...
- Liquid laundry detergent gentle cleaning and care for the fabric and the...
- Smoothes roughened fibers and leaves faded colors shine again without color...
- Stronger against stains and protects against graying now even better
3. Cheer HE Liquid Detergent – Budget Pick
Cheer HE Liquid Detergent is a really great option if you’re looking for a more budget friendly way to keep colors from fading. It’s effective, smells good and offers excellent bang for your buck. Although it is designed with HE washing machines in mind, it will still work with non-HE washing machines. You might find there aren’t many suds when you use it with non-HE machines though.
- Cheer keeps colors bright
- Fights fading & Pilling
- Helps your clothes stay colorful
4. The Laundress Darks Detergent
Another popular detergent to prevent colors from fading is The Laundress Darks Detergent. It is effective but quite expensive.
People do tend tend to be split on the smell of The Laundress Darks. Some people absolutely love it but others hate it and think it smells almost sour. This could be down to a bad batch or just different tastes. Either way, be warned that you might not like the smell.
- Preserve colors with Darks Detergent
- Keeps dark and brightly colored items rich and vibrant
- Ideal for cotton, linen, blends, and durable synthetics
- Scented in the ultimate clean laundry scent
Tips to Keep Colors From Fading
Along with choosing the right detergent, there are a few other things you can do to keep colors in your clothes from fading.
- Turn your clothes inside out – Turning your clothes inside out prevents friction which wears away at the fibres and it is easier on the clothes.
- Read the instructions – Make sure you read the instructions on the tags of your clothes and adhere to them.
- Use correct setting on your washer – If your clothes are only lightly soiled, don’t use an extra clean wash. This can cause your clothes to fade.Use a washer without an agitator – Agitators can be quite rough on your clothes. If possible, use a washing machine without one.
- Use a liquid detergent – All of the detergents in our list are liquid. If you choose not to use any of them, at lease use a liquid detergent. Liquid detergent is better than powdered detergent for preventing colors from fading.
- Go easy on the detergent – Make sure you follow the instruction on the detergent packaging. Using too much can lead to the colors on your clothes fading.
- Avoid the dryer and sunlight – Dryers and drying your clothes in sunlight can lead to them fading. If possible, hang-dry your clothes inside.
- Spot clean as much as you can – If your clothes aren’t very dirty, consider avoiding the washer and spot clean them instead.
Stick to these tips and choose one of the detergents from our list, and you should be well on your way to keeping your clothes bright and full of color.
Last update on 2019-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API